MY Chai Spiced Granola
I love love love me some granola. I’ve really cut down my sugar so I created a very low sugar, yet very yummy granola.
I never thought about making my own, but I am in the middle of a food program and cut out all grains, and only having nuts if they are sprouted, so I thought i’d play a little in the kitchen.
Here’s my granola recipe:
3 cups sprouted nuts and seeds of your choice: pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts or whatever you wish. Or you can sprout them yourself.
1-2 handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut
1-2 handfuls of larger flakes of coconut
3-5 tablespoons melted coconut oil 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp Hemalayaa’s Chai spice blend
optional: 1 tsp cinnamon powder
pinch of unrefined salt
1. Soak your nuts and seeds: look below for instructions on soaking.
2. Preheat oven to 250, or lowest setting possible (150).
3. In small batches, add the nuts and seeds to food processor or blender. Pulse the blender to chop the nuts once or twice, but don’t over grind them, you’ll end up with a nut butter. It’s nice to have some bigger nut pieces.
4. Add oil and spices. Now, pulse again another few times.
5. Add in coconut shreds, stir in evenly.
6. Mix together with a spatula, evenly distributing onto baking sheet.
7. Pour mixture from food processor onto pan covered with baking sheet. Place ￼pan in oven and toast for 2 hours, or until dry, mixing the almost-granola halfway through. ￼
8. When done toasting in oven, remove granola, and allow to sit and ￼cool before putting in big mason jar to store or eating.
Soaking and sprouting activates and multiplies nutrients (particularly Vitamins A, B, and C), neutralizes enzyme inhibitors, and promotes the growth of vital digestive enzymes.
PLACE nuts and seeds in a large glass bowl or mason jar, and cover with warm filtered water (2:1 ratio/water:nuts) add ½ tsp. sea salt. Cover with a light cloth for 8- 12 hours or so.
Note: nuts don’t require ‘sproutting time’ as some seeds and beans do.
RINSE food thoroughly and drain.
DEHYDRATE in a food dehydrator at no higher than 115º F for 12 to 24 hours, and store in sealed glass containers in the fridge. Beware: If nuts are not completely dry, they will develop mold.
OR put in oven on lowest setting, lower than 250, and dry for 8-10 hrs.
Then move on to granola recipe above.